Shadow Puppet EDU is a free, easy-to-use tool for creating videos using photos and video clips. Video has many uses in the classroom, as an effective learning tool in any subject. Students can narrate a process, or procedure, show the steps of a solution, present a published work, etc.
Features of Shadow Puppet EDU
- Combine video clips and images to make a video
- Record voice-over narration, add music or both
- Add animated text annotations and pointers
- Interact with images while recording
- Up to 100 items per video, and up to 30 min long
- Built-in web search for images and animated GIFs (can be disabled in settings)
- Automatic image citations are added at the end of videos that use web images
- Tap undo to redo the recording for a particular page.
- Copy a completed video to re-record it.
- Easy to share or save to the camera roll
- Works on iOS only
Ideas for Using Shadow Puppet EDU in the Classroom
- Create a presentation with images of all the new words for the week.
- Share three family traditions, using images, video clips, and text.
- Create a presentation to publish your research project.
- Create a presentation describing a field trip or a solution to a problem
- For more ideas, get the Activity guide.
Differentiation Using Shadow Puppet EDU
- Give students the photos/video clips needed for the video.
- Give students a completed video that they can re-record.
Considerations for Using Shadow Puppet EDU
- Have students create a storyboard before they create their video.
- If students are working in groups, assign them roles and rotate the roles so that every child experiences all the components of the process
Have a question about using technology in your classroom? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.